[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express

McBofh james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:52:22 UTC 2010

On  1/11/10 11:29 PM, Edward Martinez wrote:

> On 11/01/10 01:41, Michael wrote:
>>>>
>>> Whatever is left, they already lost their top devs,
>> maybe the people who are left aren't the "stars" you've come to
>> revere, but there's tons of top grade engineers left in the Solaris
>> organisation, and you'd do well not to belittle their efforts.
>>
>> Michael
> I'm sure the remaining are top grade engineers, but the following are the
>names of the people that have already left oracle and they the ones that invented
> many of solaris 10 and beyond tech: SMF,Dtrace,ZFS,etc
>
> Ian Murdock

Responsible for		The "OpenSolaris" Indiana distribution

> Tim Bray
			XML

> Simon Phipps
			Chief Open Source Office.
> Garrett D'Amore
			re-designed the Solaris audio system

> Bryan Cantrill
> Adam Leventhal
> Michael W. Shapiro
			Collectively Team DTrace, andFishworks

> Jeff Bonwick
> Bill Moore
			Inventors of ZFS

> Brenden Gregg
			coauthor of Solaris Internals 2nd Ed, and part
			of Fishworks.

> I don't know if the other devs have the skills to invent something like:
>ZFS,dtrace,etc, because i don't know who they are
> their names don't stand out like these devs did, when they were at sun/oracle:-)

Of the names you list, Ian and Simon didn't actually invent the
technologies that went into Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris.

Sure, the loss of the DTrace/Fishworks and ZFS inventors will be
felt keenly, but I am annoyed at your implicit dismissal of the
abilities and efforts of those who remain at Oracle working on
Solaris. Also, Michael is right.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog