[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] format dumps the core

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:21:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

This may seem odd, but I had errors just like this coming from a
faulty CD ROM drive.
The drive in question was unable to read the entire media, resulting
in the following:

1. Live CD boots up fine, probably took longer than expected.
Installation appears to be successful, some drive related error
messages show up in /var/adm/messages. Several commands on the
installed machine don't work, lots of empty or truncated files.
2. Live CD boots up fine, but several commands (including format)
crash with a variety of error messages. Running find /usr /lib -type f
-exec cat {} >/dev/null \; results in more error messages.

(1) happened with Osol134, (2) with OI. Changing the drive fixed both
issues. Yes, I meanwhile have thrown the drive question away.

HTH
Christian Walther