[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:50:54 UTC 2010

Hathan's comment is good.
Cant agree more.

I think that a well integrated software stack, including postgreSQL, will
drive adoption. It is important that software pieces plug nicely and easily
with each other and with the base system, ensuring a good performance out of
the box. That kind of comfort steps are greatly appreciated, but this was
already there with Opensolaris, so we just need to redefine the stack
towards opensource tools, and make them as easily pluggable.

We have an amazing tool, performing extremely well, and adding many valuable
features to whatever software you are running, PostgreSQL is a nice example,
together with ZFS, Dtrace, or even all the network virtualizations tools, it
makes a perfect match. Now, a distribution model, a nicely integrated
software stack, and a decent branding are important steps to follow.

I was a purely gentoo user for many years, building the complete environment
from scratch was excellent in order to fit the base system to the
applications as best as possible, but I ave to admit that starting from the
Opensolaris base, I can focus on a more creative integration at a different
level, and much faster. All the base tools are already there, so a "comfort"
stack over such a strong base is something greatly appreciated, for whatever
kind of admin.

Cheers