[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Fri Nov 5 02:31:25 UTC 2010

I agree 100 and 10 percent.  I have been trying to update my development
box on bionic mutton for weeks but my College has some kind of nut job
firewall that sees one QT package from bionic as a trojan.  I know
moving KDE into the OI pkg server won't change that but I can still
dream!  (and the IT guys said they will work with me on this problem).
I just think to be perfect we should have KDE built into our pkg
repository and not have to worry about one guys machine in Europe (no
matter how much I love Europe).

Next week I hope to get KDE on my v40z.  Then I will investigate RKward...

Just saying we should have to add an authority to get something as
important as KDE (and I am a GNOME man) on my OI install.

On 11/04/2010 08:42 PM, McBofh wrote:
> On  5/11/10 10:17 AM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
>> I think this is  a very important conversation to have (and that is
>> why I have been lurking all day).
>>
>> To me OI/OS/Solaris's major advantage is the uptime and
>> predictability (when I sit down at a sol10 derivative I know what to
>> expect, and you can expect me to type 'bash'), and ZFS. Out of those
>> three I would say #1 ZFS, #2 Uptime, #3 predictability.
>>
>> What is missing? Packages and updates!!!! When I suddenly decide to
>> try KDE, I want to be able to do it.
> [snip]
>
> From discussion in #openindiana yesterday,
>
> http://solaris.bionicmutton.org:10001/en/index.shtml
> has been updated to serve KDE v4.5.68
>

> http://solaris.bionicmutton.org:10101/en/index.shtml
> is serving 4.5.2
>

> McB

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson