[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Nov 5 03:42:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:11 PM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> not that my $0.02 is worth much, but Illumos and OpenIndiana, although
> connected are separate entities.
>
> If you compare this to Linux, Illumos is the kernel and OpenIndiana is
> a distribution.
>

> If we were planning on having a stable, a development and a bleeding
> edge then that would be suitable in both Illumos _and_ Openindiana,
> but not one or the other.
>
> For the Kernel (Illumos) I would suggest that the current build might
> be considered development, the most recent previous development build
> be considered stable and the "bleeding edge" being an almost untested
> git clone and build.
>
> For the Distribution (OpenIndiana) I would suggest trying to follow
> the example of Ubuntu in having a regular build and maybe a LTS every
> 18 months to 2 years (in a similar way to Solaris10 update N)

Why do we have to follow the model used by Ubuntu or Fedora?

The way things work, Illumos being not just the kernel but also certain
core user land stuff like shells and libraries point to what I feel
would be a better arrangement. Perhaps the way things are might be a
good thing with KDE being out of Openindiana at the moment. Desktop side
of things are mostly composed of two things: shared libraries and
applications. 'Long term support' can be done for these shared libraries
without having to have the applications (which are just 'consumers')
also under 'Long Term Support'. If there is an efficient and good
approach to these shared libraries that do not qualify as system
libraries, we can share the Q&A load and oversight while maintaining
quality. It will mean that a bit more communication/coordination is
necessary in certain areas but things on the edge (consumer software -
software stacks/applications) can be upgraded faster without having to
wait for a big release where everything has to be checked out.

Ubuntu is currently one big mess and their LTS release policies are
laughable. Yeah, I have a stable version of Pidgin but it did not do
Yahoo anymore on Hardy well before Lucid got released.

> These should in general be considered stable, and try not to upgrade
> the kernel, or major versions of apps unless security holes exist.

Apps are 'consumer' entities and should be upgradable any time. Kernels
and core user land stuff are another story. I think it would be
interesting to stuff non core stuff into their own zfs filesystem and
make it possible to upgrade the boot environment at will without
touching say the KDE env or the GNOME env or whatever. Much like how
some stuff are now being stuffed in /opt which is necessarily affected
by changes to the BE.

> I would suggest trying where possible to separate usability apps from
> core apps, with core apps admin being zealous of protecting the core
> apps repository (yes I know that is annoying to most dev's who want
> their files to be core) but it guarantees a core "server" style
> installation without forcing a gui or photo managers etc.

I see we see eye to eye on this.

> On top of the core apps and usability apps repositories, I would
> suggest another cutting edge repository with the latest versions of
> all apps (Mozilla/Adobe this means you) and worry less about trying to
> remain stable and known.

Yes, something different from the current way things are done with
Ubuntu. Maybe pkg can have a registrar of approved addon repos that it
can search and those repos can be managed apart from OpenIndiana.