[OpenIndiana-discuss] Comments by Scott McNealy

Dr. Rick Beets rickbeets at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:29:50 UTC 2010

Dear friends,

Scott McNealy's comments are on the mark, he makes me feel proud to be
a (user not coder) member of the FOSS community, since 1997, today
ever so grateful for all its efforts - including the magic that you
guys(!) work to make OpenIndiana an upstanding member of the family.

FOSS will outlive them all. As MGT consultant I've always been its
advocate. No proprietary software can guarantee their stake holders'
freedoms and continuity, without depending on the whims of the money
movers or having to worry about the integrity of their data and
processes. Luckily, ever more end users realize this.

Larry Ellison isn't one of them. He may have bought some Sunlight but
forgot to open his eyes...

Cheers,
RB

On 11/5/10, Gabriel de la Cruz <gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting indeed.
> Opensource is a valuable legacy and protects the code from kidnapping. We
> should be thankful to those guys at Sun, they somehow saved us (their
> customers) from the consequences of corporate nature. Their position gave an
> incredible value in adopting their products, and this is true freedom. Sun
> was the most advanced company in terms of contemporary thinking, years ahead
> from the current wine cellar minds.
>
> Sun guys ensured our future and their legacy will survive Oracle. The king
> seems to be death.. but it is not, so long life to the king.
> The value is out there, it is open for us to be used.
> Just go for it.
>
> BR
>

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM, russell <stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk>wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> Just read the article on The Register about comments made by Scott McNealy
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/04/mcnealy_ellions_opensource/
>>
>> If the comments are accurate, the work of Illumos and OpenIndiana become
>> even more important.

SIGNATURE :

This message was generated on a UNIX / Posix type platform using only
Free Software applications; contents were additionally checked by
Antivirus software, if without guarantees: Sender accepts no
responsibility for this message or its contents once it has been sent.

To enhance your security, user rights & freedoms, Sender recommends
Free Software.

This is a strictly PRIVATE and CONFIDENTIAL message to Adressee(s).
It may contain the viewpoint of Sender, not of any Corporation or
Institution of his involvement.

NO-SPAM. Mass-mail cq. advertising received will be DESTROYED or
brought to the attention of Authorities as Sender deems fit.

If you received this message BY MISTAKE, kindly DESTROY IT and ALERT
Sender. Help safeguard Internet privacy!

Rick Beets

rickbeets at gmail.com
operations at ribeco.net

Ref.