[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenJVM

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 01:26:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> And someone was saying that they cannot close OpenJDK:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/06/oracle_dueling_jvms/
>
> Oracle stinks!!!!

I think we can calm down on this one at least for two reasons:
1. Java failed for Sun to bring them money.
2. Snorcle can not *close* Java. In worst case it will be a fork from
OpenJDK, as it already is with forks like us (OpenIndiana),
LibreOffice and SkySQL. And we already have IcedTea around.

The logic here is pretty simple: if the difference of two JVM's (payed
and free) will be small (as Snorcle beats the breast "there will be
always fast performance free JVM"), Snorcle will capture bigger market
chunk. If not, expect it will really fork. When I say "free" and
"small difference", I also mean that we still will be able to write
*commercial* software with their *free* version legally. They have now
JRockit (very performant JVM) and Hotspot (more to be reliable, rather
then performant) and Oracle always wanted to merge them together.

After all, if Snorcle wants, then they can push patents, since Java
*and* Solaris are Oracle IP, by the way. Therefore this strategy is
probably valid to everything, where they have fingers in, including
OpenIndiana itself.

Google is using Java extensively, so they will do something about it
(Go comes in mind). Therefore I would rather stop cry, keep an eye on
random moves at Oracle, and make sure IcedTea is working on
OpenIndiana flawlessly out of the standard package. :-)

The bottom line is: Java will never be more free than is now. So bear with that.
--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.