[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setting up the recommended build environment errors with oi_147

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 10 20:50:37 UTC 2010

On 11/10/10 12:08, Ron Parker wrote:
> I left a comment about this on the "Setting up the recommended build
> environment" wiki page.[1] According to Rich Lowe a change in caiman
> removed the "Primary Administrator" rights from the user that's
> created during installation.[2]
>
> I am relatively new to Solaris-based operating systems. What is the
> "right" solution or workaround to this?
>
> [1] http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Setting+up+the+recommended+build+environment
> [2] http://www.illumos.org/issues/204#note-4

the intended use of Primary Administrator was that it be granted to a
non-root role account that would be used only during system
administration.  caiman skipped that step and granted it to the initial
user.  this was a bug, but casual use of pfexec as the initial user got
embedded into a bunch of documentation before it was fixed.

In the short term, the path of least resistance is to re-grant Primary
Administrator to the user doing the build:

	% su root
	Password:
	# usermod -P 'Primary Administrator' build_user_name

but it's a big hammer (makes that user id equivalent to root).

I don't recommend that on a general purpose system; if you're setting up
an effectively single-user system just to do package builds, it should
be OK as a workaround for now.

				- Bill