[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Rob McMahon robmcmahoncv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 14:52:28 UTC 2010

On 15/11/2010 16:32, Thorsten Heit wrote:
> Oracle today released its first version of Solaris 11 Express:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/overview/index.html

Just two gotchas so far, creating a new boot environment from
OpenIndiana (which boot environment I plan to maintain and nuture).

The first is that it trashes your nsswitch.conf again.  I've had this
before, so I knew exactly what had happened, but it fundamentally meant
I couldn't access any NFS filesystems.   It changed it from a slightly
modified NIS version, with the addition of compat to the passwd line and
dns to the hosts and ipnodes lines, back to a raw files version.  Make
sure you keep a copy of your working one.

The second is the run of /usr/lib/time-slider-cleanup four times an hour
from crontab, which is now sending me email all the time.  This script
has disappeared, and I'm not sure what the replacement is or if it's
necessary any more.  I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Some interesting messages (on my Sun Ultra 40 M2 Workstation):

Nov 16 11:56:05 wonky genunix: [ID 484473 kern.notice] NOTICE: Not
retired: /pci at 0,0/pci10de,377 at f/display at 0
Nov 16 11:56:15 wonky gdm-binary[1417]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning]
WARNING: Got console request to add display for session that already has
a display, and display is already in use
Nov 16 11:56:26 wonky console-kit-daemon[671]: [ID 702911
daemon.warning] GLib-GObject-WARNING: g_object_set_property: construct
property "seat-id"  for object `CkSession' can't be set after construction

None of these seems to be a major problem since the machine is working
fine, but I'm curious, especially about the display warnings.  Googling
doesn't come up with anything interesting.

Cheers,

Rob

--
E-Mail:	Rob.McMahon at warwick.ac.uk		PHONE:  +44 24 7652 3037
Rob McMahon, IT Services, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England