[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Tue Nov 16 16:20:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:53:19 -0500
Daniel Kjar <dkjar at elmira.edu> wrote:

>   IANAL but it looks just like the new EULA for solaris 10.  Testing and
> demonstration, nothing else.  Period. If it is a production environment
> you need to buy a license.  They also had a nice bit in there about 'we
> will watch to make sure you don't violate this'.  As a professor that
> only produces academic non-commercial services, I find this completely
> unacceptable.  Microsoft sells licenses that academics can afford and
> they still make money by getting fortune 500s to buy their crap.  Why
> Oracle doesn't think that is viable is beyond me.

When I looked at the details for licensing, it suggests one contact their
sales person and then if you don't have a sales person you can fill in a
form and someone will contact you. It may be they have tiered pricing or
licensing that they just haven't made public. I didn't fill in the form
since I'm just a desktop user for the most part with a blog and website
I've been neglecting, so I went back to linux for now.

Cia W