[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 08:17:32 UTC 2010

Tom Kranz wrote:

> SX11 has a newer version of ZFS. When you install OpenIndiana over the
> top, it refuses to recognise the disk layout, and wants to either
> repartition it or blow it all away.
>
> I just gave it a go on my hack box and it was an unexpected surprise
> that put the kybosh on that test a bit too early.
Well it seems like it would be best to install 2009.06 and upgrade to
134 or install 134 first.
After that there were 2 paths till now : Upgrade to new BE with Illumos
and building newer Illumos'es and second, upgrade to OpenIndiana BE.
(Or install fresh new OpenIndiana install on separate BE, something i
still have to do)
And now you have third option to upgrade from 134 to SEx11.

So it is WRONG doing - trying to install Solaris Express on fresh system.

Because every Boot environment is world for itself, I see no reason to
do SEx fresh install because it would lock you inside Oracle closed
Solaris world forever on that machine (because of newer version of ZFS
rpool that won't work with any previous and new installation of
OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana/Illumos and therefore, locks you in.