[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:26:51 UTC 2010

Kyle McDonald wrote:
> > It cleans all Be's and have only
> itself in GRUB and one
>
> another
>
> > previous BE.
>

> If you do a fresh install this is definitely true. All releases of
> OpenSolaris did the same thing.
I did not know that. I only installed OpenSolaris once, with 2009.06 CD.
Everything else were going through upgrades with new BE's, including
Illumos builds and OI_147.
> Open Indiana will do the same if you do a fresh install. The Installer
> program doesn't have a feature to install from scratch into a new BE.
I think I heard of some link explaining installation procedure of even
Solaris10 as just a new BE.
And some people suggested installing in Virtualbox fresh OI and then
doing ZFS send to new BE dataset.

Anyway, it might be clever to first install at least snv_134 (if not
2009.06 and then update to 134) as a starting polint to the future
releases, since one can have upgrade path from there to every
OpenSolaris variand based on IPS after that.
> >> *Workaround:* Edit the
> /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst file
>
> and copy
>

> >> the desired entries from the original boot environment.
>

> This description basically says, if you are currently using a BE (say
> for b134) where you've added entries for:
>
> 1) boot Osol b134 with the graphical splash screen
> 2) boot Osol b134 with no graphics
> 3) boot Osol b134 with a serial console
> 4) boot Osol b134 with a screen reader
> 5) boot Osol b134 with a screen reader
>
> Then the new BE created during the the image-update will have all your
> entries for the *old* BE, but it will only have 1 new entry for the
> new BE which will be 'cloned' from the first entry in your old BE. The
> bug is that they won't automatically clone all the entries.
>   -Kyle
Thank you Kyle for clarification. ;)
I understand now.