[OpenIndiana-discuss] SunStudio

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 17:58:57 UTC 2010

> Or better, when SunStudio is open-source.   #6-)

Well, I don't know whether SunStudio will become open-source (probably
it won't), but these days I am trying to compile bombono-dvd-0.8.1 on b134.
I have Sun C++ 5.11 SunOS_i386 2010/08/13 and g++  v.4.5.1. The problem
is that somehow the Sun C++ compiler cannot properly handle templates.
The following code snipped from /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/signal.h
shows how the two compilers handle things:

  #ifndef SIGC_HAVE_SUN_REVERSE_ITERATOR // the coorect (g++) way
  typedef std::reverse_iterator<iterator>       reverse_iterator;
  typedef std::reverse_iterator<const_iterator> const_reverse_iterator;
  #else // Sun C++ way
  typedef std::reverse_iterator<iterator, std::random_access_iterator_tag,
                                int, int&, int*, ptrdiff_t> reverse_iterator;

  typedef std::reverse_iterator<const_iterator, std::random_access_iterator_tag,
                                int, const int&, const int*, ptrdiff_t>
const_reverse_iterator;
  #endif /* SIGC_HAVE_SUN_REVERSE_ITERATOR */

Regardless of my little problem, this little example shows that we should move
away from Sun Studio. It's simply buggy.

A.S.
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece