[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool command: some questions.

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 22:43:18 UTC 2010

Anthony Renaud wrote:
> I am not sure of the consequences of the following zpool command:
>
> zpool create mypool /dev/dsk/c5t0d0p2

It turns the second primary FDISK partition on that disk into a zpool.

> (c5t0d0p2 is where I have the unbootable OpenSolaris partition from where I want to recover some files)

It's not clear from what you've said if that was a root zpool from what
you've said, or some other zpool. zfs root pools have to be on a slice
which is part of an SMI labeled partition (on x86). The device name for
that will end in s0, not p2. If it wasn't a root pool, then it depends
how you created it.

> Does it prepare the partition for the mount commands?Or does it erase and format the partition?

Effectively, erase and format.

> Or is it better to use: zpool import ?

Yes.

> and after: