[OpenIndiana-discuss] When adding a mirror disk to rpool

McBofh james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 04:33:41 UTC 2010

On 22/11/10 02:18 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm about to create a mirror to rpool that currently is a single
> disk.  I remember it being somewhat more involved than any other pool
> for adding a mirror.
>
> Involving the boot bits and running grub... maybe other stuff as well.
>
> I wondered if anyone has a URL where I might read about the procedure,
> or failing that can anyone provide a general outline of steps that
> need to be taken.

It's pretty easy to find via google.

# /usr/sbin/zpool attach rpool (currentdev) (newdev)
# /usr/sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 \
	/boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/(newdev)

Note that (newdev) must be a slice.

You might get an error message from zpool about slice 2 (s2)
overlapping newdev - assuming that you have setup your newdev
slicing correctly, you can re-issue the zpool command thusly:

# /usr/sbin/zpool attach -f rpool (currentdev) (newdev)

McB