[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS improvements.

Maurilio Longo maurilio.longo at libero.it
Tue Nov 23 17:55:29 UTC 2010

Jesus Cea wrote:
> The problem is evident. If you minimal allocation size is 512 bytes, per
> file you waste 256bytes.
>
> If your minimal allocation size is 4096 bytes, per file you waste 2048
> bytes.
>
> Mean values, of course.

Jesus,

more than that

maurilio at krumiro:~$ ls -lR /iscsi/snv_143 | wc -l
175184

maurilio at rsync:~$ ls -lR /nas/test/snv_143/ | wc -l
175184

At 2Kb, mean, per file, we have 360Mb, more or less, but here we go from
2,73Gb to 3,81 so it is more than 1Gb, or, nearly 8Kb per file!

> This waste is per file. If you have a lot of small files...

Surely, so you have that a 1Tb 4Kb drive could end up being able to contain a
lot less files than a smaller, but 512b one!

Best regards.

Maurilio.