[OpenIndiana-discuss] livecd zpool import -fR /a xpool but no files

Calum Mackay calum.mackay at cdmnet.org
Sun Nov 28 15:37:03 UTC 2010

On 28/11/10 15:20, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> 	zpool import -f -R /a rpool newrpool

The above is what led to eventual problems here: although I could access
the files, when I subsequently tried to boot the original system (not
the livecd) it couldn't find rpool.

That's because my use of newrpool above actually renamed the pool on
disk. I had to boot the livecd again and then:

	zpool import -f -R /a newrpool rpool

	zpool export rpool

to get it renamed back, and then it booted fine.

On reflection, I was being too cautious, and that led to trouble. I
didn't really need to rename the pool on import, because the livecd
doesn't have an rpool setup itself.

At least, that's true in my environment, which was using b151a Solaris
Express; I didn't have an OI livecd image handy, sorry.

>    Using live-cd build 147: `zpool import'
>
> Will report seeing `xpool' with some long ID number.

I didn't see that, so presumably that's a recent change between OI and
Solaris Express.

> In this case, the system to be rescued was recently installed from
> that very live-cd, so maybe that would lesson the likelyhood of
> problems?

Yes, I think I just made problems for myself with the rename on import.
Do it without that, i.e. do it as you had been doing it, but with the
added mount, and all should be fine.

My test system recovered perfectly fine once I correctly the renamed pool.

let us know how you get on.

cheers,
calum.

(Oracle employee)