[OpenIndiana-discuss] Radeon HD 3870 Best Practices?

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Sat Oct 2 13:49:48 UTC 2010

Ken,

By way of followup on this Radeon HD 3870 auto-detection question:

Am trying yet another fresh install - of oi-dev-147. The Device Driver Utility identifies the card, but assigns driver vgatext:
subsystem-vendor-id: 1002
subsystem-id: 2542
vendor-id: 1002
device-id: 9501

(do these ids correctly match the 'known suspects' list?)

Once we get OI installed, yes; I'll move on to a custom Xorg.conf file. But above may help the autodetection in the installers?

Thanks again, Lou

--
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Radeon HD 3870 Best Practices?

Hi Lou,

I prefer the "radeon" driver which should be autodetected for your card.
I tested this with my current radeon cards and it works fine (but let me know on your specific card how things go).

Best to create a Xorg.conf file for advanced settings and custom monitor resolutions/dual & triple-head monitors.

~ Ken Mays