[OpenIndiana-discuss] Audio

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at es.aau.dk
Sat Oct 2 18:17:25 UTC 2010

Dear all,

This is my first post here, so I'll try to be as modest as possible.
First, I'd like to thank the development team for providing such a
(surprisingly) stable 147--it hasn't crashed on me yet...it's
incredibly fast, something that really struck me, being an old timer
Linux user.

However, I really need to know something about audio programming under
OI. The hits I get googling point in all kinda directions; old
projects, difficult to know if they're still alive, specific Sun
Solaris (or Oracle Solaris) stuff, Open Sound System ported to Solaris
but many years old etc. etc.

Where do I start? In Linux we have the <sys/soundcard.h> but that
doesn't seem to be available under OI. A good *.h file should also
provide documentation IMHO, but where is it? There is a /dev/dsp which
is fine, but how do I control it (ioctl,fctl)?

Best,
Søren