[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana more popular

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at es.aau.dk
Tue Oct 5 08:42:44 UTC 2010

HILLEL + ALL:

On 10/ 4/10 10:28 PM, Hillel Lubman wrote:
> I don't think there are really performance drawbacks for game development on
> OpenIndiana. Heavy games are anyway based on OpenGL, which in turn ends up
> in drivers quality. Sound is another sensitive issue, but interestingly,
> OpenSolaris uses OSS, which is better for game development, comparing to
> PulseAudio or ALSA commonly found in Linux (though now one can use OSS in
> Linux too, but it's often not present by default).

If you by OSS mean accessing /dev/dsp by e.g. ioctl and write, this has
been possible on Linux for at least ten years.

Speaking of sound, I just compiled portaudio with success, although its
outputs are placed in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by default,
but that's a minor thing. This is and was one of my "requirements" for a
(to me) new OS like OpenIndiana--I simply have too many old programs
depending on portaudio. The old programs have now been compiled and
portaudio works like a gem :-) (even the nasty SET_TRIGGER on soundcards
works but I don't think mmap() is supported...haven't tried it yet)

I am surprised by the responsiveness of OI (with GNOME), in fact it
might even be faster than Xubuntu (with Xfce).

If I can now only compile Qt4, then I see no reason to continue with
Linux anymore. You guys did a too good job! :-)

Best,
Søren