[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool slow as molasses

Paul Johnston Paul.A.Johnston at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 21:42:03 UTC 2010

  On 10/ 5/10 09:40 PM, Julian Wiesener wrote:
> On 10/ 5/10 10:13 PM, Paul Johnston wrote:
>> Er what sort of name would you expect to see for a sata device?
>
> SATA devices normaly have a Taget, so it's c4t0d0 instead of c4d0.
> However, these are names, if you want to know what interface type is
> used, you should look on the device path:
>
> This is what an SATA device looks like with Native AHCI disabled:
>
> $ ls -la /dev/dsk/c7d0s0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 May 23  2009 /dev/dsk/c7d0s0
> -> ../../devices/pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,2/ide at 0/cmdk at 0,0:a
>
> This is what an SATA device looks like with Native AHCI enabled:
>
> $ ls -la /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          49 Jan  6  2009
> /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2 -> ../../devices/pci at 0,0/pci1028,283 at 1f,2/disk at 0,0:c
>
> Many especially older systems have it disabled by default because
> Windows was not able to boot from SATA devices in the past. Also some
> vendors disabled the Native AHCI switch in their BIOS. If you're lucky
> an BIOS update will make it available, if not, you're out of luck (or
> go to the fency BIOS hackers crowd and possible trash your BIOS).
>

> Regards,
> Julian
I have a Dell Optiplex 755 and when I switched in the bios from ATA to
AHCI it wouldn't boot so I'll get another disk and do a re-install then
I can have a REAL play around and see what the difference is :-)
(Wonder if dtrace shows faster file operations!)
Back now in ATA mode.
Seconding what the OP says it's a pleasure to deal with so many really
clever people as there are on this forum and how free they are with
their help.

Many Thanks Paul