[OpenIndiana-discuss] The name: "OpenIndiana"

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at es.aau.dk
Wed Oct 6 10:10:53 UTC 2010

ALL:

Has there been any discussion about the name "OpenIndiana" recently. I
can surely understand the reason for picking this name, but for a Dane
(like me) it comes out a bit clumsy.

I've tried to imagine a couple of funny scenarios, like OpenDenmark
(Denmark is at least three times smaller than the state of Indiana) and
it leaves me with wrong, well, almost political associations.

As much as I want Denmark to be more open towards foreigners, this
probably has no counterpart in making Indiana more "open" in that
sense, so... :-)

Perhaps "OpenIndiana" sounds much better in American but it still has
this...provincial touch over it.

Anybody?

Søren