[OpenIndiana-discuss] The name: "OpenIndiana"

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:36:04 UTC 2010

I think it is the right time for that kind of questions, as otherwise
it will be too late.
Openindiana is not a totally sexy brand name, ok to go, but...
Indiana was working well as a codename for opensolaris, so it would
work well for example to refer to all the 1.0 releases, or to identify
the developer releases.. but in terms of branding...

I think our bosses will still purchase "solaris" unless they trust us
well enough to believe "openindiana" is as good as it... branding is
not only just about naming but it reflects many other things..
perception of value, for example is a very important thing to Oracle.

We all know how to recognize an state of the art OS, but the
management people doesn't know so much how to make the difference
other than trusting their perception of things.

What is the reason why we are here; oracle does not seem to care too
much what sys-admins think, why they do not care so much about what we
think of them? well, they are not selling their products to us, they
are selling them to our bosses, tho the CXO range of people... people
who does not know what a "best of the breed" OS is but who prefers to
perceive the value of an OS from a different angle.

Oracle sells damn expensive, probably they are not going to sell so
many licenses of Solaris as Sun did, but in order to make the CXO
people to perceive their products as "best of the breed" they do like
the wine cellars has been doing for ages, rise the price... and in
order to rise the price, thy have to be unique, and in order to be
unique, they killed the rock and roll...

The are not so afraid of us as far as they can sell that picture...
but just think for a second, how wonderfully tasty will feel if the
distro we are building here could be perceived as valuable as the one
they are selling?

So, your question is a good one... is that name enough to "compete" with them?