[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox 3.2.8 and OpenIndiana

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 6 18:35:26 UTC 2010

  During the installation of VirtualBox 3.2.8 downloaded from
virtualbox.org (newer version than what's available at
opensolaris.org/dev) I noticed a postinstall script error about USB
support being disabled because it could not determine the OpenSolaris
"snv" version.

The workaround is to unpack the package

# pkgtrans VirtualBox-3.2.8-SunOS-r64453.pkg .

(note the "." at the end of the command) which extracts the package into
a directory called SUNWvbox.

Edit SUNWvbox/reloc/opt/VirtualBox/vboxconfig.sh and replace all
references to "snv" with "oi".
Reinstall virtualbox, from the modified directory (not from the pkg file)

# pkgrm  SUNWvbox
# pkgadd -d . SUNWvbox

now there is an error about vboxconfig.sh not matching size and checksum.
Edit SUNWvbox/pkgmap and fix the size and checksum of vboxconfig.sh
(the installer tells you the new values)

reinstall again

# pkgrm  SUNWvbox
# pkgadd -d . SUNWvbox

I don't really know if USB support actually works but at least there are
no errors during installation and virtualbox runs ok.