[OpenIndiana-discuss] The name: "OpenIndiana" (part II)

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Oct 10 14:28:24 UTC 2010

At the risk of getting myself moderated/kicked off, I shall continue a
bit on this thread.

Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
> Well, I told a few many times that I am ok with openindiana, and there
> is no one trying to change anything we are just exchanging ideas an
> trying to give some new perspectives to the thing. This is a basic
> procedure in all creative process.  This has nothing to do about "my
> distro as I like it" or "your distro as you like it".
> Talking and exchange of opinions should happen out of this kind of
> interventions.

Wait a moment. How do you make the case that you are 'okay' with
openindiana? This list is about openindiana. Notice the
openindiana-discuss name. When it has become clear that no one is
seriously interested in changing the name and then someone asks you to
drop it, you come back and attack the person. It is obvious then that
you are not 'okay' with openindiana and you want to pursue the name change.

> What I don't understand is the completely protective attitude. As it
> is counter productive to the project I highlight it, and as it is not
> very polite, I highlight the subject as well.
> If a group of people is bringing ideas on the table, a "could you
> please stop" is not a proper answer.

Protective attitude? What do you want? A totally directionless
distribution? A group of people bringing ideas on the table? Wow, you
sure have inflated what was a single person's suggestion to change the
name. There is no group of people bringing ideas. Even the person who
made the suggestion has agreed that it is pointless to try to change
something that had already been decided by those who started this
project and put way more effort and work than you or I ever have.
Changing the name of the project to something else has already become
off topic for this list.

> I have been involved in group collaborations for the last 15 years,
> and to my experience, even if it is seen as childish, requesting to
> stop that kind of attitude is best from the beginning. And talking
> openly, and respecting others is best. Ending subjects kills many
> things, therefore it is negative for the whole cause.

Grow up. The suggestion was shot down on multiple angles with there
being no single compelling reason to change the name before the call to
drop this topic. One name change has zero or minimal benefits and this
has been rightly and respectfully shown the door. Your unfair
accusations and twisting of "an open development model and full
community participation" to try to include such a thing as a name change
in the development of *OpenIndiana* pours doubt over the value of your
fifteen years of being involved in group collaborations. This list and
community is for developing OpenIndiana - the successor to the Project
Indiana legacy.