[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana, from opensolaris background...

Edward Ned Harvey shill at nedharvey.com
Thu Oct 14 14:19:16 UTC 2010

> From: Guido Berhoerster [mailto:gber at openindiana.org]
>
> We definetly have our own roadmap and goals, that is to provide
> stable releases with free security and bug fixes. Oracle and
> Illumos are our upstream on which we add some branding and
> usability changes and in the future also additional opensource
> software.

That's really excellent, cuz that was always a downfall for opensolaris.
"You want what?  Security bugfixes?  Downgrade to solaris 10 and pay, and
you can get those updates."  The end result was IT discomfort and fear to
put either one into public internet exposure.  I mean ... ubuntu, rhel,
centos, everything out there ... Have simple reliable update managers so you
can easily get the latest apache bugfix etc, as they become available.
Critical, IMHO, for production.

That's what you're talking about, right, in OI?

So for packages such as apache, etc, I presume Illumos is doing something to
pull in and build those publicly available packages and so forth.  Right?

And for things like ZFS, it's just a matter of waiting for the release cycle
that Oracle determines, and pull in those updates, just like any other
packages such as apache etc.  Right?

> Firstly, only ONNV development has been closed for now and

What precisely is included in ONNV?  Kernel, dtrace, ZFS, and some other
things I presume.  Right?

> Illumos is there to replace it and aims to innovate on its own.

You don't mean that Illumos plans to develop non-oracle branches of the
kernel & ZFS & dtrace I assume ...