[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic trying to install OI

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Sat Oct 23 00:58:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM, russell <stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>  Hi Thorsten,
>
> I found that I experienced a similar kernel panic when attempting to perform
> a clean install of OpenIndiana which would occur at around 2% of the
> installation on a consistent basis.
>
> I eventually worked out that I had to use GParted to delete any partitions
> on the boot disc prior to selecting Install OpenIndiana, the other thing I
> did was not change the hostname until after OpenIndiana has been installed.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Russell

If one of you can reproduce the panic, can you copy the stack trace in
panic message? I guess it wouldn't have written a crash dump, so you
may have to boot with the '-k' flag appended to the 'kernel' line in
GRUB, and the 'splashimage' line as well as 'console=graphics' removed
(needs both, or the console will still not be visible). That way the
system won't reboot immediately.

This should help us identify the bug.

Thanks,
-Albert