[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fun Task - Comparing OI packages vs CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu etc

Kevin J. Woolley kjw at javabunny.net
Sat Oct 23 02:37:46 UTC 2010

On Friday, 22 October, 2010 16:06, "Alasdair Lumsden" <alasdairrr at gmail.com> said:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a fun task for someone who is looking to contribute to the project.
>
> It would be really useful to compare packages and versions between:
>
> OpenIndiana oi_147
> CentOS/RHEL 5.5 and 6
> Debian 5
> Ubuntu 10
> FreeBSD

Fedora 13 (current) and 14 (due in a couple of weeks) are good additions to the list.  I'll get started, but would love some help.  I'll start with CentOS 5.5 and the Fedoras.

Things like Perl modules, PHP modules, variants (no-x11), etc. won't be in the list unless there's good reason to include them.

For the FreeBSD bits of the list do we want the pre-built packages or the ports tree?  I can't say I know what's more commonly used (though I use the ports tree myself).

Cheers,

kjw