[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enhancement to IPS (pkg)??

Sunay Tripathi tripathi.sunay at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 23:34:14 UTC 2010

On 10/23/10 03:17 PM, Albert Lee wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Sunay Tripathi
> <tripathi.sunay at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Let me introduce myself. My name is Sunay Tripathi who *had* been with
>> Sun/Solaris for a long long time and tinkered around with the OS. Its
>> great to see you guys taking the initiative. I was looking to see if
>> people were looking to take any major projects. Given the focus
>> around packaging, some work around IPS would be useful. Specially
>> related to file based URIs. The dependency on someone else's repo
>> has been the most complained about part of IPS from general community.
>>
>> For instance, you could have all the packages in file form in SVR4
>> and write scipts to install identical system without needing the
>> network was something useful and I think we never completed that work
>> in IPS. I wrote some more on my thoughts on what it takes to make
>> a open source OS succeed in long term here
>>
>> http://sunaytripathi.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/solaris-as-an-open-source-alternative-to-linux/
>>
>> Anyway, if there is some interest from people to work in this area, we
>> can start a discussion.
>>
>> Again, keep up the good work.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sunay
>>

> Hi Sunay,
> Glad to have you on board! Most of us are familiar with your
> transformation of the networking space. (I remember meeting you at a
> dinner after last year's LISA).
>
> Shawn Walker at Oracle has been leading the on-disk package repository
> support, and the format of on-disk repositories has been finalised.
> You can install packages directly from a file:// URI without a
> temporary depot server, and indeed we use this functionality in the
> process of constructing the distribution, as several consolidations
> are imported directly from on-disk repositories. There is additionally
> a pax-based stream format for a single file, like SVR4's stream
> format, I don't know if the tools for manipulating this are done. The
> spec for both is here:
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/pkg/gate/doc/on-disk-format.txt
>
> -Albert

Hi Albert,

Yes, I do remember. For some reason at first glance, I was not able to
recognize lots of name of this list so I thought let me introduce
myself first instead of someone asking why they should even pay
attention to me :)

Thanks for pointing to Shawn's ARC case. Seem like somethings did
happen (in the right direction) after I left. Someone also pointed out
that pkg gate at Oracle is still open. Do you or anyone have any
idea as to what is already done and was in b147 pkg source. I am
assuming that OpenIndiana is based on b147 equivalent of pkg-gate.

Cheers,
Sunay