[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enhancement to IPS (pkg)??

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Sun Oct 24 08:43:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Sunay Tripathi
<tripathi.sunay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sriram,
>
> Good to hear from the Belenix team as well. Having multiple pkg
> formats, distribution channel is not a bad idea. You guys should
> try and keep the pkg format and distribution channel as close to
> CentOS as possible if you want to use RPM5. That would allow
> people familiar with that style to easily install and manipulate
> the bits and actually enjoy the differentiated Solaris features.

This has been our goal. Quite a few of our KDE 4 packages are actually
based on spec files from the Fedora project.

I need to complete some tasks, and will then start a discussion on
belenix-discuss about our goals ahead.

Given that Nexenta have decided to use Debian specs, StormOS is
already doing so, Hajma is putting out KDE packages for IPS,
Debian-legal have continued to dislike the use of dpkg, openindiana
aims to be as Oracle-Solaris compliant while trying to work under the
illumos umbrella (which is now a fork) and while having lots of
desktop apps in a server-aimed distro, we've been wondering just what
Belenix's contribution should be. We certainly don't want to
contribute to the sometimes significant overlaps above.

However, Nexenta's recent blog announcement about NCP 3+ has given me
some ideas on what Belenix could do ahead.

> But I must point out that this is some amount of work. Not sure
> if this should be the highest priority. Have you done any
> survey etc to get a feel of how many people would be interested
> in this. Can you automatically generate the RPMs from the spec
> files? If you have tools/scripts to do that, it might be worth
> the shot. A manual process will become stale over time.

At the moment, I've got rpm5 and smart to work. There are some
unfortunate Sun-isms in the SPEC files which I think could have been
avoided by pkgbuild (but I'm not a pkgbuild guru).  I'm investigating
using RPM5 macros to support these non-Fedora spec file attributes
(like SUNWName, for e.g.). Barring these Sun-isms, rpmbuild is able to
use the existing SFE specfiles and generate usable rpms.

We envision that Belenix could be part of the openindiana eco-system
for desktop spec files, use illumos for the ON bits, and borrow stuff
from CentOS and Fedora as and where needed.

Belenix: www.belenix.org