[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enhancement to IPS (pkg)??

Sunay Tripathi tripathi.sunay at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:30:14 UTC 2010

On 10/23/10 10:17 PM, Joshua M. Clulow wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Sunay Tripathi
> <tripathi.sunay at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> http://sunaytripathi.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/solaris-as-an-open-source-alternative-to-linux/
>
>    "The install is another story altogether, given that a large amount
> of code for automatic install has not even been opensourced"
>
> Which parts of IPS/AI aren't open?

IPS is open. Lot of things around install aren't. A lot of them aren't
even done including upgrade from S10, jumpstart etc. Now you probably
just wanna run it on desktop but unless there is a commercial
viability of this OS, its not gonna very far. And if you were
implying that caiman is open, yes thats true. And if that was the
full installer, S11 would be shipping about now.

>    "Allow someone to make a non network clone of the repo (at least for
> the true opensource packages including the kernel)."
>
> You can presently create fully-fledged mirrors of the OI repository
> which you can then reuse as a local network repository or add directly
> to your publisher list as a file:// URI.  The "onu" update script for
> Illumos makes use of file:// URIs already when updating to
> locally-built nightly packages, etc.

I don't think you understand how mirrors work. And the kernel is small
part of all you need to have a operating environment. Do an experiment
for me at your home. Disconnect the internet, just try your local
machines as publisher and see if you can bring up a new system which
has all that you need (to start with, just build and compile the
ON bits).

I do appreciate your enthusiasm in using things and that is the right
approach. Things are by far no where near complete to be palatable in
enterprise but let people like me worry about that.

Cheers,
Sunay