[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package lists

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 22:47:51 UTC 2010

On 24 Oct 2010, at 01:39, Jeppe Toustrup wrote:
<snip>
> I have started with making a copy of the DistroWatch sheet, and tried
> to only list server related packages on that list - since it's what I
> know most about. It mainly shows lack in mail servers (exim, postfix),
> ftp servers (proftpd, vsftpd), database servers (postgresql, firebird)
> and lastly various web based packages (pgadmin, phpmyadmin,
> wordpress).
> It would probably be a good idea to work on the network based services
> first, and then leave the webbased for now. PostgreSQL has already
> been handled, afaik, and should be available in the next version of
> OpenIndiana.

Absolutely - I fully agree there. Getting Postfix, Exim, proftpd and vsftpd into the base OS (and other similar popular software) should be a priority goal for the packaging effort.

>> This will then allow us to focus on getting those packages added, and serve as a method of distributing the work. Guido (gber) is doing some great work with regards to an extras consolidation for this software to live in:
>>
>> http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/~guido/OI+Extra+Consolidation
>>
>> If anyone is interested in helping him with this please get in touch.
>
> I might be able to help out a bit, but it will probably mostly be in
> the triaging/testing/version bumping manner, since I don't have much C
> programming experience.

*nods* - all help appreciated. Most of whats needed is just writing/maintaining spec files and organising things, most stuff compiles out of the box on Solaris these days (thankfully!).

Getting automated build zones created with compiler toolchains and pkgbuild pre-installed will be a very helpful first step.

Cheers,

Alasdair