[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enhancement to IPS (pkg)??

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:47:49 UTC 2010

On 25 Oct 2010, at 06:20, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
<snip>

> I missed looking at this before hand. Let me check this out before we
> go further. But I would point out that SMF service is fine. Its the
> tarball/rsync process to get the bits that worrying. It would be good
> to make the creation of the local repo simple without needing to
> download the repo using rsync etc. It would be good for end users
> if they can point the pkg command to (say OI) origin server and clone
> the entire repo which start the SMF services etc under the cover
> (maybe as an option). Perhaps you have already done this or headed in
> this direction. Again, I am not the target for this. The target is the
> end user who doesn't even know what rsync is. Think Ubuntu in this
> sense.

I would agree here - that kind of functionality would be very useful.

What would also be very useful, is if you could pick a version to pull down (eg 0.147), and this would download all the dependencies too. Our 0.147 build still has dependencies on Sun provided 0.134 packages that are only available in binary form, so getting all the dependencies would be important to have a working repo.

Cheers,

Alasdair