[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 63

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:59:11 UTC 2010

On 25 Oct 2010, at 13:30, Gary Gendel wrote:

> Blastwave seems to be maintained adequately.  The only problem I find with Blastwave is that it requires the world to be brought in, duplicating libraries already available as native packages to /opt/csw/.  If that doesn't bother you then blastwave will work fine.

Absolutely - Blastwave is not an integrated/slick solution. It's really aimed at people running Solaris 8/9/10.

>  My hope is that people (maybe you?) will step up to the plate and provide missing spec files for wanted programs and that they become part of the OpenIndiana native package set.  There seems to be a discussion at what the format for those packages will be for OpenIndiana which is why I suggest doing the spec file route.   I wouldn't think postfix would have much problem in building on OpenIndiana, with a little work I'm sure the svc files could be implemented to make it complete.

We're going the spec files route, as this makes the most sense given the options available. As previously mentioned, Guido is working on "OpenIndiana Addon Consolidations" to provide additional software for the OS, you can see the draft spec here:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Addon+Consolidations

We are actively looking for people to help us with this - you don't need to know C, but being competent at compiling software, being able to read documentation and having patience would be beneficial. To contribute, the single best thing you can do is join #oi-dev on irc.freenode.net and start following development as it happens.

> That said, I personally use a customized version of qmail (is there anyone using a vanilla installation any more?) that uses spamdyke as a front end.  If I didn't have such a huge investment in the spam handling infrastructure that I integrated into qmail, I would problem start fresh with something like postfix.  Then again, qmail has been working flawlessly for me more than 20 years.

You, sir, are a sado machoist. Why anyone would run QMail in 2010 in this world of ceaseless spam is quite beyond me :)

Cheers,

Alasdair