[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enhancement to IPS (pkg)??

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Oct 26 02:55:30 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 26, 2010 07:47 AM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2010, at 06:20, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I missed looking at this before hand. Let me check this out before we
>> go further. But I would point out that SMF service is fine. Its the
>> tarball/rsync process to get the bits that worrying. It would be good
>> to make the creation of the local repo simple without needing to
>> download the repo using rsync etc. It would be good for end users
>> if they can point the pkg command to (say OI) origin server and clone
>> the entire repo which start the SMF services etc under the cover
>> (maybe as an option). Perhaps you have already done this or headed in
>> this direction. Again, I am not the target for this. The target is the
>> end user who doesn't even know what rsync is. Think Ubuntu in this
>> sense.

Sorry, not even Ubuntu provides any tools to create a local repo that I
know of for an end user. apt-mirror is terminal based and is targeted at
the sys admin, not the end user.

I am not sure what your idea is in this regard...allow a person to
create a local repo at home and then use it for installing the rest of
the computers in the home?