[OpenIndiana-discuss] Draft Roadmap

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 23:10:43 UTC 2010

On 14 Sep 2010, at 23:41, Paul Gress wrote:

> I just looked at the draft roadmap.  http://wiki.openindiana.org:8080/display/oi/OpenIndiana+roadmap?focusedCommentId=1475251#comment-1475251  I see in Phase III there are plans to drop SunStudio.  I thought the SS compilers created faster binaries.  Why the drop?  This I'm concerned about.

Hi - we have no plans to drop Sun Studio any time soon. Being a wiki some of the information might be slightly old or inaccurate. We'll try and get that tidied up soon.

At the moment the kernel compiles with GCC but doesn't boot - I believe Illumos are interested in addressing this so that it's possible to use GCC.

But the general idea is that Sun Studio is closed source and GCC is open source. Ensuring the OS works with both is a general (but low priority) goal.

Cheers,

Alasdair