[OpenIndiana-discuss] timeline for illumos and upgrades

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 14:12:05 UTC 2010

On 16 Sep 2010, at 15:04, Daniel Kjar wrote:

> I have two questions,  1) what is the timeline for integration of illumos and 2) will an upgrade from current indiana to the illumos integrated indiana be possible?

Personally I'd be reluctant for OpenIndiana to use Illumos instead of ON until there were sufficiently good regression/compatibility tests to give us (both OpenIndiana and Illumos teams) confidence that Illumos has correctly replaced the closed source bits inside ON.

But once the switch is made, I would expect the upgrade from OpenSolaris (current) to OpenIndiana/Illumos to be the same as the upgrade from OpenSolaris (current) to OpenIndiaina (147), ie essentially a pkg image-update. But that's hard to answer with any certainty :-)

Cheers,

Chris