[OpenIndiana-discuss] I'm willing to help

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Sep 16 21:17:37 UTC 2010

Congratulations on establishing this project.  I'm amazed that such a
small group of people can make that sort of effort.  I'd certainly
like to help out.  I have been upgrading an AMD workstation to the
latest development release of Opensolaris as soon as it was available.
This all stopped at build 134.  I'm very pleased to see that
Openindiana is continuing the project.  I notice from this mailing
list that upgrades still have a few bugs.  I'm waiting until they are
resolved before proceeding.

I have booted the Openindiana ISO on an ASUS Eee PC laptop.  It looked
very nice, but I couldn't go further because both the wired and
wireless interfaces were down.  I'll leave it on build 134 until
that's resolved.

I have made small contributions to Opensolaris, in the SMF area, and
look forward to continuing my contributions, this time to Illumos.  I
understand that Openindiana will soon be obtaining the OS
consolidation from Illumos.  I'm happy to see that Illumos will soon
have a binary distribution and repository.  The whole thing is coming
together quite nicely.

I'm also very pleased to see that Openindiana is continuing the use of
IPS and its installer.  This is a great advance over SVR4 packages and
its installer.  I'm probably biased because I haven't seen modern
alternatives, but I am quite impressed with IPS repositories and the
package manager.