[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool version and older BE's

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Sep 17 15:34:57 UTC 2010

  Hi all,

I successfully upgraded from b134 to OpenIndiana oi_147 and when I
checked zpool status it told me:

  pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
     still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
     pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.

My first question is: where it says the pool (when upgraded) will no
longer be accessible on older sw versions, does that include an older BE
won't be able to access rpool? I suspect that's what it means, I just
wanted to double-check. If so, I may wait a bit before I do the zpool
upgrade just to make sure things are working good. So far they are
except I have one service that needs maintenance
(system/filesystem/zfssnap-roleadd:default) which leads to my 2nd
question, would this be related to a feature that's unavailable until I
do the upgrade?

Thanks for the great work so far.