[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi_147 crashes host under VirtualBox 3.2.8r64453, host Mac OS X 10.6.4

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Sep 18 03:06:40 UTC 2010

oi_147 crashes host under VirtualBox 3.2.8r64453, host Mac OS X 10.6.4

But another VM under the same, except running an updated OSol2009.06,
works fine, as do all my other assorted VMs.

Somewhere in there I had installed ZFS for the Mac (from google code, since
Apple gave up on it), but took that off in case it was somehow involved
(memory pressure maybe); however, the crash happens even with it removed and
a reboot to make sure it's gone.

Originally it worked enough to try an upgrade from b134 (which failed,
apparently), and also to do a fresh install in a new VM.  But from the
first time I tried to boot off of the "disk" for the new VM following
installation, it crashes the host.

I can try blowing away the "disk", creating a new one, and re-installing.
Not much else I can think of to try.

This rings a sort of dim bell about problems under VirtualBox, but I
can't seem to find whatever it is I thought I'd seen.