[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana logo (was: oi_147 crashes host under VirtualBox 3.2.8r64453, host Mac OS X 10.6.4)

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:27:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Albert Lee <trisk at opensolaris.org> wrote:
> There was an image submitted by George Milnes (Emery on IRC) which
> includes an abstract logo - he was designing wallpapers, so I don't
> know if he intended it to be a real logo, but it looks quite good to
> me (and is coincidentally related to the new Illumos logo in the
> works). It's an attachment on
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Wallpaper+01

With all respect to George, I hardly can imagine how SuSE's chameleon
got additional features to fly and twit! :-)

One HOWTO to everybody:
— In order to vote for a logo, don't look how great it is. First abuse
it by scaling it to 24x24 pixels (at least) and find it *same*
recognizable. If you can not do so, but you find it as a blue-gray
underlined little green stain (as George's one), then the logo simply
failed and you normally skipping the whole idea, so the beautiful
implementation does not matters anymore at all. As an example, Sun
Microsystems logo can be shrank to 16x16 pixels and be still there
Sun's logo. Can you do with OpenIndiana? No, you can not. The sample
thing you can done to Apple's logo: shrink it — still Apple. Probably,
if you made Illumos's monochrome — still their simplified Sun won't
look like a little disk saw and will withstand primary tests.

Branding is not an easy task that can be done by your school kid. :-)

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.