[OpenIndiana-discuss] New install of OpenIndiana b147

aspinwall aspinwall at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 20:17:27 UTC 2010

  Hi,

After successfully migrating from Solaris 10 u5 to OpenIndiana b147, I
added OpenOffice 3.2.1 via a download I used for Solaris and which did
not appear to cause any problems. I then attempted to install VirtualBox
v3.2.8, using pkgadd . The VirtualBox v3.2.8 installation failed with an
error it could not delete /var/tmp/<random string>/SUNWvbox . Now I am
unable to boot OpenIndiana successfully.

What would be the best recovery procedure to follow to get a usable boot
environment?

The computer does boot, provides the Grub boot menu for OpenIndiana
b147, the OpenIndiana screen appears with the animated orange band
moving along the thin blue line but that is as far as it gets even after
30 minutes.

Just a couple of suggestions

1) A Safe Boot Environment  as part of the standard install
2) When performing an Install, changing the Hostname from OpenIndiana
causes my computer to reboot during the installation, so I have to
change the computer name after the installation.