[OpenIndiana-discuss] open64 as a replacement for Sun Studio?

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:32:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> SS is here, it's fast, and it works, and that has been the case for a
>> long time. Let's get the distribution stable, complete & up and
>> running on both platforms before making things even more complex.
>
> +1 !

Moving to other compiler than SS would make sense if Oracle started
something nasty, like treating for its use, messing up with legal
stuff and licence etc. But they probably can only restrict for updates
to newer versions. Personally I think there is no need to hurry up
digging these topics. Illumos also will be on SS for a while and this
is smart decision. Later, when distro is stable and core is fine, then
it would be *nice* to detach from SS.

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.