[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nvidia

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:57:27 UTC 2010

Brian wrote:
>   I tried using vi to do this. I don't think so. Thanks, but I'll wait
> for the next release.
Then try nano.
Ctrl+X is for exiting and it will ask you to save changes.
So simply,
pfexec nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Anyway, befor einstalling anything on top of current install,
make new Boot environment out of current one and then log into it and make changes.
That way, if you misconfigure anything on that new Boot environment (BE)
you can always log back in previous system state (including passwords and everything).

pfexec beadm list
(list possibel Boot Environments)

pfexec beadm create newname
(Create new Boot Environment, cloning current system, does not use more space on disk)

pfexec beadm activate newname
(to boot next time to new BE the same way you activate older BE to boot to)

pfexec beadm destroy newname
(to destroy BE forever so it won't take more space)
It can also be done in GUI, from package manager (under File>Manage boot environments)

That way, I have 2009.06, snv_131, snv_134, snv_145+illumos and 134->oi_147 BE's on same disk/zpool :)