[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS on pkg.openindiana.org "Framework stall"

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 20:10:55 UTC 2010

On 27 Sep 2010, at 12:01, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> I notice that pkg-1.de is hosted at Hetzner.  We also have an
> OpenSolaris-based server hosted there, and it has intermittent
> connectivity problems to the point of being unusable.  We are
> currently investigating this.

Interesting. I've noticed the occasional packet loss with the server (but only a few seconds, not minutes). I haven't yet determined if it's Hetzner's network or the sub-optimal NIC they install in their servers.

> It is possible that your problem with pkg-1.de is related. Symptoms
> are that the machine works fine and then suddenly is not reachable
> for 5-20 minutes, then works fine again.  No error messages, no
> faults, are visible in the server logs.  So to one user it might seem
> to be fine, to another user it appears unreachable.

This is very odd indeed. I'll switch my Pingdom account to monitor pkg-1.de for a while, as they can probe from several places around the globe.

James