[OpenIndiana-discuss] Grub2 and OI

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:03:56 UTC 2011

On 04/ 1/11 08:01 AM, Darko Hojnik wrote:
> On ZFS v14 its known to be working. The GRUB Devel team has applied the
> Code because it's under the GPL. Only on ZFS v28 whats will come with
> FreeBSD 9 CURRENT I don't know.
>
> Known Issue with FreeBSD and Grub2 is, they is no way to activate a
> serial console on COM1 at startup to see all output from the kernel. You
> have to wait after boot, then it will turns on.
> One of the reason why I will try OpenIndiana. All my Servers has got IPMI.

I would like to try the opposite, installing FreeBSD 8.2 where
OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana are installed.
Zpool is from 2009.06/111b version so I guess FreeBSD will work with that.
So I would like to add FreeBSD to sun GRUB. (I downloaded 8.2 freeBSD
DVD .iso).

My reasons are: Newer userland programs and willing to try something
new. I have never been in FreeBSD (since I already have Osol, OI nad
S11Ex on same zpool/disk).