[OpenIndiana-discuss] vi vs. emacs (Linux vs. Solaris)

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Fri Apr 1 14:18:35 UTC 2011

> Well stopping it would be good on one hand, but on the other if you
> read
> back the comments you see where the pain lays for the users.
> - desktop usability
> - office usability
> - stability
> - user interface
> - additional software support
> - how other opensource projects can be used on the platform
>
> And then my final flame:
> If openSolaris was available on preconfigured laptops, desktops and servers
> and people were willing to spend 400 dollar on additional software like an
> officesuite and some other software, OpenSolaris will be the best OS
> in the world!!

Well, join the team! Nothing is stopping you. The reason focus now is on servers only, that is, no X no DBMSes (that I know), perhaps an MTA and that's about it, is that we're lacking manpower to do both porting (which is the simple part) and supporting it, updating packages when new fixes come out etc etc etc. Alasdair has written a lot about this - google the archives.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.