[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing on USB stick

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 15:20:41 UTC 2011

1) Boot the Live Image

2) Identify the internal disk so you don't stomp on it

3) Plug the USB disk into a convenient port

You will ALWAYS need to plug into the same port to boot the disk.

NB There are several removable volume managers which will try to mount the disk.  That can make things a bit messy.  Post if you run into trouble.

3) Install OI and select the USB disk as the target

NB If you set the boot priority to CD-USB-HD it will boot OI anytime it sees the disk at boot time.  If the disk is not plugged in it's a perfectly normal Windows machine.  Very helpful if it's a company laptop as there's nothing for IT to get upset about.

Have Fun!
Reg