[OpenIndiana-discuss] eBook Daily Deal - DTrace: Dynamic Tracing in Solaris, Mac OS X, and FreeBSD

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:59:18 UTC 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:

> On 08/04/11 13:16, Philip J. Robar wrote:
>> DTrace is also available on Linux in a slightly lesser form. (It doesn't change the kernel's source code.)
>
> References? Are you talking about the systemtap thing?

I'm just repeated what was on the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTrace

First I've ever heard of systemtap. It appears to be a competitor to DTrace. A web search finds amongst others: http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemtapDtraceComparison which appears to have been updated as recently as late February.

Note that the http://www.crisp.demon.co.uk/tools.html page's DTrace link is broken as is the link on the home page. You need to go to the blog page first and use the DTrace Download link found there:

http://www.crisp.demon.co.uk/blog/
ftp://crisp.dyndns-server.com/pub/release/website/dtrace

From the dates on the release files and the blog entries the project appears to be being actively maintained.

Phil