[OpenIndiana-discuss] Antwort: Re: System halts on boot when there is no keyboard

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Mon Apr 11 09:22:42 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-11 09:34, Michael Schuster wrote:
> On 11.04.2011 09:30, thorsten.heit at vkb.de wrote:
>> Hi,

>> the
>> the

>> AFAIK no.
>> Longer time ago I've heard rumors that you shouldn't unplug and replug a
>> device from/to a PS/2 port because that can cause damage to the
>> hardware.
>> I have done it few times with a keyboard but never had any problems...
>
> IME, removing a PS/2 device while the system is running will work (in
> the sense that the machine continues to run), but re-connecting won't
> have any effect (until reboot ;-).
>
> HTH
> Michael
I read somewhere that according to the original PS/2 specs you cannot
"hot swap" PS/2 devices but most systems that have these ports can
handle it anyway.

I can remove and reconnect the keyboard to the PS/2 port on my computers
and they won't lose it. USB mice on my OpenIndiana machine on the other
hand will be lost once I disconnect it. If I try to reconnect it to the
same USB port it won't happen, but if I connect to another USB port and
be patient, the mouse will come back. If I disconnect from that new port
it will be lost until next reboot so I have to find another USB port the
mouse wasn't previously connected to if I want to get it back, an so on...